14 May 2010

Land of the Dead

After watching Land of the Dead I had mixed feelings. I thought there were some interesting aspects to the movie, but the zombie figure portrayed in this movie really bothered me. I thought portraying the zombie as a learning species was extremely interesting, and had a lot of potential, but it got ruined for me with the head zombie (the mechanic). He just sort of became knowledgeable for no reason and all the others just sort of mindlessly followed. The scene where they realize they can walk under water was really well done. What was more interesting, to me, was the civilization that was formed. There were a lot more survivors than the average zombie flicks lead the viewer to believe, and the class systems seemed to still be a major focus in the movie.

The zombie figure aside I thought the way Romero set up the movie was well done. By using radio broadcasts to explain what was going on is what I always prefer over a newscast over the television or word of mouth in passing somewhere in the movie. Stating that all the zombies are attacking major areas the audience then knows that the uninfected are aware of the fact that the infected are starting to learn makes you question if it is still moral to simply exterminate the infected. The antagonists in this film seem to change from the zombies in the beginning to the big wigs as the film progresses. The viewer is almost cheering for the zombies at the end of the film. Overall, I enjoyed the flick I just didn’t much like how there was a zombie leader.

No comments:

Post a Comment