06 April 2010

"The Open" and "Homo Sacer"

In my opinion this text was challenging. There were a few things that I think I understood. According to I believe it was Aristotle there are two ways of looking at the question of what is life. There is zoe and bios. Zoe is life that an animal has. An animal is alive but does not quite have higher brain function. Bios is the pursuit of "the good life". Then the text goes into a connection between bios and politics. A part of this text that was interesting to me was when it was talking about politics as life. If you're out of politics then that means that you have no rights and if you have no rights then you really have no life(bios). You are essentially only living(Zoe). The text talks about Nazi science experiments and how they related to this idea of having no life(bios). This is what seems relevant to zombies. The prisoners that were at the camps had horrible experiments run on them. They had no say in what happened to them because their rights had been revoked. They were in between real life(bios) and just existing(zoe). I think it is really interesting to think of zombies this way. I'm glad to see that there are other ways of looking at what a zombie is other than half rotten living dead who eat brains.

No comments:

Post a Comment