08 March 2010

She Was Not Alive... Nor Dead... Just a WHITE ZOMBIE!

White Zombie is a 1932 horror film starring Béla Lugosi and Madge Bellamy. The story is about a young woman, Madeline (Bellamy), who has just arrived in Haiti and is reunited with her fiancé Neil (John Harron) and they plan to get married quickly. The young couple goes to stay with Charles Beaumont (Robert Frazer), a wealthy plantation owner, whom is in love with Madeline. Charles love for Madeline makes him decide to approach the mysterious voodoo master, 'Murder' Legendre (Béla Lugosi). Charles can't make Madeline love him, so he hopes Legendre has some mystical magic that can help. Legendre gives Charles a potion to give to Madeline that will make her into a zombie. Charles does so, and Madeline dies on her wedding day. Upon being buried, Neil goes into a panic and Legendre seems he can't be trusted. Slowly, Charles realizes that he now has Madeline, but she has lost her soul.

White Zombie is a perfect example of what movies made with improper knowledge can become. The story is over-the-top and is completely false in every way. It's a very narrow minded view of Haitian culture and their beliefs. I also do think it's rather funny that a Hungarian with a Fu Man Chu mustache is a voodoo master of any kind, but I digress. Part of me wants to hate this movie for it's inaccuracy and it's offensive in nature plot, but I can't. Maybe it's my love for B-grade horror films or my love for Bela Lugosi. I'm not sure what it is, but all I know, is this film was fun to re-watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment